[MLB-WIRELESS] Melbwireless Linux distro - which flavour?

Andy Freeman andy at kawasaki.kz
Fri Jan 25 23:47:26 EST 2002

I started reading this thread with great interest... Jason's point about
using a common platform to build on made sense... I also love the idea
of an ISO image and if we got too many "what is an iso" questions I
would be happy to burn the current image and post it out for a couple of
dollars (or maybe I could con the missus into doing it?).  I installed a
test-smoothie box a month ago, loved the ease of use (and I read that
Smoothwall are writing a wireless-module but I believe it will be a $
product)

I have been threatening to "learn Linux" for a while, I have very rough
Unix skills and think that I could get-up to "comfortable" fairly
quickly.  I'm a "MS-Head", I make a fair living out of the MS-OS (bless
its buggy gizzards) and every time I look for a start in *nix the fear
of investing my time on the "wrong disto" or "flavour" spooks me and I

This weekend I WILL start, but I would like some guidance (off-list is
probably sensible, wireless at kawasaki.kz ) as to the best version to
start with.  I hear that RedHat is great starting place but if I want to
(one day) contribute to the wireless project should I be looking at
debian?

I loved Kims .sig ascii-art but I think that the biggest thing the
penguin has to fear is itself (when it implodes during the *nix
religious war)!

Andy.
(aspestos underwear is ready)

--------