[MLB-WIRELESS] Hold off on buying wireless equipment for a few months!

Matthew Boyd Matthew.C.Boyd at uts.edu.au
Mon Jan 14 18:29:31 EST 2002

I pretty much decided a lonnnggg time ago that there's always going to
be something better coming along in a few months in computers. In the
end you just have to bite the bullet and buy something. I don't think
there will be many people buying the first generation of 54mbit cards
if only because the 10mbit are probably going to drop in price.

In 6 or 12 months time there will probably be talk of 100mbit (or more)
wireless connections. In terms of cost, the price of my card will
probably be about 50% of the cost of setting up a link and I bought an
expensive one. Most of the work has been in getting the rest of the
gear together and learning how to install and use it (and I'm not
anywhere near to done learning). Once the links are up and the antennas
pointing in the right direction then upgrading the connection *should*
just require a swap of hardware and some software config and thats if
its really necessary, 10mbit is still pretty damn good.

I agree with sticking with 2.4Ghz if only so I don't have to build
another antenna.

Matt