[MLB-WIRELESS] grumpy people

Nick Sibbing nick at artful.com.au
Wed Jan 9 15:16:55 EST 2002

Lucas Lozo wrote:

> I understand that.
> I just think with out some sort of control or regulation (which cannot
> be run successfully for Free)

I welcome Lucas critical analysis but I think it confuses Free
and Non Profit. I agree that its almost impossible to build
anything worthwhile for nothing. I'm sure though that a
motivated and community run non profit organisation can do great
things with very exacting standards. For example CFA as we speak
doing a job in NSW that few organisations could match.

Alex F wrote:
I think there is some lack of motivation to get this thing up
and running

And to answer Alex's comment I think that building ourselves
into a successful organisation at the moment is just as
important as the technical issues. But its early days yet, the
BBQ on Friday night is only the second meeting we've had! The
best way to get the network up and running quickly is to go
along to the BBQ and talk to people and find out what help you
can give them to get going. Like many others I only just heard
about this from the Age article less than 3 months ago. Becoming
Tony Langdon takes time <grin>

The other great thing is that you can use beer to improve radio
signals! I'm spending a bit of effort in trying to work out if I
can link to people 3 and 5 kms away. If we get twice as many
people involved then i only need half the effort in aerials etc
and the network we make will be better and tougher.

So instead of engineering for long distances it makes sense to
recruit to shorten the distances. Personally I contacted my
council to start getting more people involved but this takes
tiiime. And the biggest stumbling block that I see is making it
easier to understand and do. For every level of difficulty that
we can remove we make a quantum leap in the amount of potential participants

more nodes == good imho and it takes time and community building

Nick Sibbing