[MLB-WIRELESS] grumpy people - get a move on

Shane Chubb s.chubb at tronics.com.au
Wed Jan 9 14:27:22 EST 2002

Alex
I agree that it is sad to see only around 20 nodes operating. i have
invested a lot of time into developing my own wireless set-up at home
and feel that I am pretty much ready to roll. however I am held back
purely by costs. I cannot afford an Orinoco card at the moment and my
current hardware consists of FSHH cards only which as we know will not
inter-operate with the existing gear.  Being subscribed to this mailing
list I see people posting "cheap wireless gear - place your order now"
and I see many people raising their hands and saying I'll have one.  I
sometimes wonder if these cards ever get used or not and would imagine
that if they all were there would be a great deal more than 20 nodes
operational.

I don't feel that it is largely motivation which is needed but probably
also a good source of "cheap" compatible hardware.  Perhaps someone
subscribed to this list has the contacts or resources to do some sort of
promotional work for the melbwireless group such as paper/newsletter
drops or adds (radio or otherwise).  This may make some of the larger
wireless suppliers sit up and take notice. Then we may see bulk buy
offers being made rather than having to try and track them down.

And as Tony says - some people simply want to play with the technology.
When they hear about wireless they get all excited but when they see
AP's for $400 as a starting point they probably prefer to wait.  Not to
say they aren't motivated anymore - they are simply looking for a
cheaper solution.

Anyway this is all my opinion and not everyone will agree.  But if there
was an add for $100 wireless cards and free connection to "Melbourne's
fastest growing public network" I imagine a lot more people would see
past the $100 initial outlay.

Shane