[MLB-WIRELESS] Access to wireless networks?

Adrian Close adrian at close.wattle.id.au
Wed Jan 9 11:48:19 EST 2002

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Rob Werner wrote:

> Anyway, my question.  A friend and myself are interested in setting up a
> wireless link between our houses to facilitate the sharing of files and
> internet access.  This would involve two wireless cards running in ad-hoc
> mode, running Windows 2000 and probably Windows 98 or XP.   I have a rough
> understanding of the technical aspects of setting up such a network, but I
> am curious as to how security is maintained.

Well, you could start by choosing something with a little more security
than Windows so you don't fall victim to a "drive-by" hack.

If you're concerned about security on the actual wireless link, at a very
basic level you can turn on WEP (which I understand is short for "wired
equivalent privacy").  Unfortunately, WEP is relatively trivial to break
(but it's much better than nothing since the drive-by hacker must sniff a
fair amount of network traffic to be able to break to key - about
150-200Mb).

You could look at running IPSEC between the hosts.  In Windows-land this
costs extra.  Or you could use some kind of Unix box at either end to run
the wireless cards and provide security services (note that I'm not
suggesting that *nix is a completely secure solution, either - in the
words of Bruce Schenier, "Security is a process, not a product").

> Obviously there is some sort of encryption / login process to allow access
> to the wireless link, but how are the passwords distributed and maintained?

Generally not.  I would suggest you don't expect the network layer to
provide security services.  Rather, the individual hosts involved need to
be secured and provide the access control measures.

> All that probably sounds vague, but security is a big issue for me.  I don't
> like the thought of just any old passer by hooking up to my network and
> sponging costly internet access, and who knows what else.

Are you coming to the BBQ?  We can talk more about this...  :)

Adrian Close			email:	adrian at close.wattle.id.au
1 Old Gippsland Rd.		web:	http://www.close.wattle.id.au/~adrian
Lilydale, VIC, 3140, Australia	mobile:	+61 412 385 201

Echelon teaser: MD5 RX-7 SSL Kiwi TRD DEADBEEF Bubba