[MLB-WIRELESS] Access to wireless networks?

Rob Werner rob at invademyspace.com
Wed Jan 9 10:17:47 EST 2002

Hi everyone,

I'd first like to say thanks to everyone on this list for providing a very
helpful resource!

Anyway, my question.  A friend and myself are interested in setting up a
wireless link between our houses to facilitate the sharing of files and
internet access.  This would involve two wireless cards running in ad-hoc
mode, running Windows 2000 and probably Windows 98 or XP.   I have a rough
understanding of the technical aspects of setting up such a network, but I
am curious as to how security is maintained.

Obviously there is some sort of encryption / login process to allow access
to the wireless link, but how are the passwords distributed and maintained?
Are they simply user selectable?  Are there two separate login steps?  ie. a
password to access the wireless link which is different to the standard
Windows network login?

All that probably sounds vague, but security is a big issue for me.  I don't
like the thought of just any old passer by hooking up to my network and
sponging costly internet access, and who knows what else.

Thanks,

-Robert