[MLB-WIRELESS] Antennas questions

Paul J. Marsh pjmarsh at compuserve.com
Tue Feb 19 01:13:33 EST 2002

Hi,

Firstly, thanks for the plug of the Frars wlan working group at
http://www.frars.org.uk/cgi-bin/render.pl?pageid=999999
To answer your question on the power output, we used a HP microwave power
meter based on the thermocoupler head and that's good beyond 10Ghz. We used
intersil's prism2 test suite to put the card on a specific channel and then
enable test mode. The problem is that the modulation type is DSSS so actully
measuring power is actually quite hard. The average power we measured was
35mW over channels 1 to 14. Looking at the signal on a spec-an also produced
some odd results, as the spread is much quicker than the analysers sweep,
but still you could easily see the 22Mhz wide block of noise, but
determining exact relative power is difficult.

Of course, there is a simple was to give yourself >1w on 2.4Ghz, just get an
RF2126 and a pcb from far circuits for about 3.50 US$ and add a few smd's
and job done. Dont forget this PA will have to be integrated into your wlan
card in the TX loop. The wl100's are bloody small and quite hard to work on
whereas the wl200's are get-at-able.

As usual, if you have any questions on the stuff on the www.frars.org.uk
site, drop me or any of the web team a mail and we'll answer you.

Regards,

Paul.

For Satcom / Inmarsat info check my homepage :-
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pjmarsh
Wireless Lan antenna testing day:
http://www.frars.org.uk/cgi-bin/render.pl?pageid=999999
ICQ #26875651
IRC #satcom & #monitor on irc.demon.co.uk
HTML e-mail deleted on recipt - plain text only.

http://www.frars.org.uk/cgi-bin/render.pl?pageid=999999

Does this mean that people are chasing these WL200 cards for the 100mW power
when it doesn't really exist?  Can someone shed some light on what this
means?  Maybe we don't need these more expensive cards ???  How would they
have tested the output wasnt what it is supposed to be?

here is the direct link.  The quote is from the bottom 5ish lines if the
article

http://www.frars.org.uk/cgi-bin/render.pl?pageid=1046

-Matt