[MLB-WIRELESS] ip allocation list based on suburb

Roger Venning r.venning at telstra.com
Thu Feb 14 00:18:25 EST 2002

Dave Keller wrote:

>Why not just allocate the ips whichever way required and use reverse DNS to
>give more meaningful geographic information?

<snip>
How about we use a real address allocation tracking mechanism like
whois? e.g. like http://www.apnic.net/apnic-bin/whois2.pl

On the wider issue of address allocation it turned out I had a bit to
say so quick summary:

I don't think aggregatable addressing will successful on any finer
granularity than Melbourne as one aggregatable block, Geelong as
another, etc. We should just give each Melbourne node a 172.20.0.0/20
address, given out sequentially as a node goes to 'testing' status. Also
sequentially allocate Melbourne nodes subnets from the 10.1.0.0/16 as
requested. Aggregatable address allocation will prove impossible in a
mesh network.

Long:
There are several factors at play in IP address resolution

- each host on the WAN must have its own unique address within the WAN
- it is desirable to also have uniqueness across other networks that may
be later interconnected, e.g. other wireless community WANs. Also the
Internet, but in this case it is essentially impossible due to the
restrictions around obtaining large IPv4 address blocks.
- it is desirable (and on some scales *required*) for addresses to be
aggregatable. However I honestly do not believe that this will be
possible in a mesh style network on any basis other than for instance on
the interfaces between say Melbourne and Geelong, etc. There will
(hopefully!) be too many diverse paths for aggregation to occur within a
heavily 'cross-linked' network that will not have obvious levels of
hierarchy.
- hierarchical address allocation assists distributed administration of
handing out addresses. However I think it is tenable to put together an
CGI style request system that takes details (e.g. email address, node
ID, desired size of subnet (to support wired and wireless 'clients' on a
'home' network surrounding the node) that deals with all requests for
say Melbourne - so no council based system is useful.

Can somebody prove to me that is possible to have hierarchical /
aggregatable addressing without requiring a corresponding strict network
hierarchy (ie. nodes on bottom layer only connect to next highest layer,
not each other, next highest layer connects to its superior layer in a
similar fashion, ad naseum)?

I think that we should just do this:
- set up the node maintenance page so that when the owner takes their
node to 'testing' status they are allocated a node IP per wireless
interface and asked if they also want a network block (with provision to
later request further network blocks (more local clients) and node IPs
(further wireless interfaces)
- the node IP comes from the 172.16.0.0/12 (RFC 1918) space. This could
simply be numbered sequentially by non-contiguous urban area, rural
areas handled all from the one pool.
    - 172.20.0.0/20 Melbourne
    - 172.20.16.0/20 Geelong
    - 172.20.32.0/20 Rural Vic (I know there are also regional centres,
can be handled with new blocks on an as needs basis. Hell I even come
from one - or maybe Hamilton is not big enough to be a regional centre?!)
    - the node addresses are assigned to the wireless interfaces. If a
connected subnet must be used, then it is the whole 172.20.0.0/20 for
Melbourne for instance. A dynamic routing protocol such as OSPF is used
to establish host routes in the routing table to each and every node
within this autonomous system of the WAN
- network blocks taken from 10.1.0.0/16 for Melbourne and simply handed
out sequentially as requested in blocks, e.g. 10.1.0.0/28 first, then
10.1.0.32/27 (must start on subnet boundary), then 10.1.0.16/28 (taken
out of gap)... etc.
    - these network blocks are advertised through dynamic routing
protocol into the WAN. Only given out to clients that do not route on
the WAN (both wired & wireless non-router clients).

Roger.

Roger Venning	\ Do not go gentle into that good night
Melbourne        \ Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Australia <r.venning at bipond.com>                 Dylan Thomas