[MLB-WIRELESS] ip allocation list based on suburb

Adrian Close adrian at close.wattle.id.au
Wed Feb 13 13:33:08 EST 2002

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, darrend at natwide.com.au wrote:

> case, it does NOT matter what ip's are allocated where. Forget about this
> suburb, postcode or whatever else crap for IP's. Remember why DNS was
> invented???

Actually, having a vaguely regional IP address allocation policy makes
some kind of sense from the point of view of routing aggregation.

> As far as public address space allocation goes... forget it. Unless someone
> is willing to front the US$10000 yearly apnic membership fee to apply for

$US1000 joining fee + $US2500/year gets you APNIC membership and access to
such resources as can be reasonably justified.  A /19 is not an improbable
ask.  It is a lot of money for an individual or a small group, but we are
not necessarily a small group.  What we don't have is the organisational
structure, which may or may not be a good thing.

We _may_ also need a carrier licence.  So let's say we need operational
funds of $20k/year.  With 200 members (I think there are at least that
many on this list) that's $100/year.  Not too exhorbitant.

I'm not saying we should go out and do this right now.  But don't dismiss
the possibility.

Not only, but also: what I was also suggesting was that the resources of
community wireless groups around the world could be applied to the idea of
setting up an Internet registry, at the level of APNIC, ARIN and RIPE, but
for community wireless.  I don't think this is impossible.

> In the end, I think we'll have no choice but to use the 10.x.x.x private
> space for host addressing, possibly 172.16.x.x for routing devices etc.

Not "in the end".  Just "for the moment".  ;)

Adrian Close			email:	adrian at close.wattle.id.au
1 Old Gippsland Rd.		web:	http://www.close.wattle.id.au/~adrian
Lilydale, VIC, 3140, Australia	mobile:	+61 412 385 201

Echelon teaser: MD5 RX-7 SSL Kiwi TRD DEADBEEF Bubba