[MLB-WIRELESS] IP address range for Geelong?

Adrian Close adrian at close.wattle.id.au
Tue Feb 12 21:09:59 EST 2002

On 12 Feb 2002, Simon J Mudd wrote:

> This allows you "at some later stage" to link up (probably not by
> radio!) to other groups around the world. If you have an ip address
> conflict it'll be much harder to do this.

/me throws hands in air and calls on a deity to give him strength.

I can see why this registry seems logical.  What it misses is the fact
that the RFC 1918 ranges are not globally routable, _by design_.

I think we'd be better off campaigning to obtain a globally routable IPv4
allocation for use on community-baased wireless networks around the world
(similar to net 44 in concept, I guess).  We have ARIN, APNIC and RIPE.
Perhaps we could create a WNIC organisation to handle global allocation of
such addresses.  There's plenty of IPv4 space left.

Adrian Close			email:	adrian at close.wattle.id.au
1 Old Gippsland Rd.		web:	http://www.close.wattle.id.au/~adrian
Lilydale, VIC, 3140, Australia	mobile:	+61 412 385 201

Echelon teaser: MD5 RX-7 SSL Kiwi TRD DEADBEEF Bubba