[MLB-WIRELESS] Another n00b

Ben Ryan ben at bssc.edu.au
Mon Feb 4 13:17:10 EST 2002

> Our houses are ~1 km apart as the crow files and the area is
> pretty flat, but im concerned acout trees in the way.  Theres not a forest
> in between, but theres a couiple of good trees.  Whats peoples
> experience with this, am I wasting my time even thinking about doing this?

Couple trees is ok. Depends on the power output of the card you end up with
(Cisco AP's ideally, but $$, try for something 70mw-100mw.
with a pair of parabolics and decent cards, a bit of bush shouldn't be a
problem. Anyway, if the trees get bad, there's always the Round-Up Signal
Booster and/or the Stihl Amplifier ;)

BTW, the Austar MDS para's won't work without ripping the LNB and converting it
over. And don't try any length of the Austar coax - TFC-T10... it's horrid for
loss even over short distances. We tried :(  LMR400 or bust, sadly. $20 a
connector too.

cheers