[MLB-WIRELESS] Another n00b

Terry Wood w00dy at bigpond.net.au
Tue Feb 5 10:13:03 EST 2002

Hello there,

Just thought I would say hello now that I'm on this mailing list.  I
signed up because I read a post on he forum (which is pretty quiet) that
most things get sorted out in the Mailing list.

Anyway, myself and a mate are tossing up setting up a wireless
link between us and want to bore you with the usual (im sure)
n00b questions about it all.

We both have linux boxes which we use to connect to DSL, and Ive
been using linux for over 6 years now so Im not n00b
to linux compilations/mods, etc.  We have no plans to 'share' our DSL
links, purely wanting to get a free and fast link between us.  If it
goes well others will probably be interested, but this is a small start.

My first couple of questions are these:

What pcmcia (in PCI/ISA adapters) cards would you recommend for us
(I guess I need to get these 'pigtails' to connect to the unused
Austar MDF antennas we have on our roofs

What speed cards should we be looking at, I realise theres the 11mb
ones but I've seen the 54mb ones being touted about here and there.  Are
cards which do this speed a reality here yet in price and cost?

Currently as there are only 2 of us, we dont need to get an access point
of any type do we?  Simply get cards, hook
up directional antennas, spend time lining up,figure linux box and away we
go (with any luck)?

Our houses are ~1 km apart as the crow files and the area is
pretty flat, but im concerned acout trees in the way.  Theres not a forest
in between, but theres a couiple of good trees.  Whats peoples
experience with this, am I wasting my time even thinking about doing this?

Anyway, that will do for now.  Sorry to ask what Im sure are obvious
questions to you folks in the know.  I know theres info out there on the
web, but its good to ask Aussies that are actually doing this stuff.

BTW, we are located in Traralgon, Gippsland, Vic and as far as I
know there are no other local people using wireless links like this, but
there are a lot of people interested.  Typical thing, people are
interested but not prepared to 'give it a go'

Any info or help appreciated.

Terry Wood