[MLB-WIRELESS] Regional Groups

Clae clae at tpg.com.au
Tue Aug 27 03:45:52 EST 2002

>can i suggest that these be allowed to form on their own, as people take
>up responsibility for them? rather than having to have them approved,
>yadda yadda...that has been a real stength of MW's so far..

I've got to agree with that - the definition of "local" is really
best left up to the people who actually live in the area.  Local is
not only topography, it's also to do with transportation lines,
social factors etc.  EG people in close to the city are more likely
to be public transport users, and population density is higher, so
smaller areas make sense.

These are meant to be self-help groups.  If someone proposes
boundaries that don't make sense, people with either not join the
group or change them.

For example, the boundaries of "Southern" and "Central" seem pretty
odd to me.  I live on the south side of a ridge that runs parallel to
the Yarra from near the city - Botanical Gardens - out through Toorak
and beyond.  I can't see Richmond, let alone Park Orchards!  Whereas
the land south, east and west of me of me is more or less flat for a
few miles

As Tony points out, the same ridgeline takes a turn to the north
following the river up through Yarra Bend Park, and then east again,
cutting off the CBD and Richmond/Fitzroy/Clifton Hill and
Northcote/Thornbury/Heidelberg from Kew/Hawthorn/Balwyn on the other
side.

I propose WGInnerSouth, north edge being the Yarra ridge and the
CBD,west to Port Melbourne, east to Glen Iris, and south to Caulfield
or maybe further - I'm not sure where the next line of hills is
heading that way.

I also reckon an Inner East zone, or perhaps extending East in as far
as the ridgeline, but people from around there would know more than
me.

Good on you Tyson and Ryan for getting this discussion going.

Clae.

Interesting to see from that map that Prahran is now out over the Westgate...

>like the sound of RGCentral :-)
>
>James
>
>stOn Mon, 2002-08-26 at 20:53, tyson at www.wireless.org.au wrote:
>>  Hey all,
>>
>>  As mentioned at the last meeting, I've drafted up some rough
>>regional group (RG)
>>  boundaries.  These by no means govern which RG you should join,
>>they are simply a
>>  helpful guide as to which RG may be best to get involved with.
>>I've taken an
>>  educated guess as to where the major ridgelines are that divide
>>Melbourne, based on
>>  topographic features.  If there are people with better local
>>knowledge that can
>>  point out any major faults with these proposed boundaries, then
>>please do so.  Some
>>  areas have no names, others are poorly named - feel free to
>>suggest names for your
>>  region.
>>
>>  These boundaries are only a guide, obviously if the map shows you
>>to be in one
>>  region but you have better line of sight to nodes in another
>>region, then use some
>>  common sense and select the best RG to become involved with.
>>People on the top of
>>  hills or ridges may want to get involved with multiple groups in
>>order to assist
>>  with inter-RG connectivity.
>  >
>  > The proposed boundaries can be viewed at:
>  > http://melbourne.wireless.org.au/go/?RGBoundaries
>  >
>  > Regards,
>  > Tyson with assistance from Ryan (Sneeze).
>  >
>  > To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at wireless.org.au
>>  with "unsubscribe melbwireless" in the body of the message
>>
>--
>"Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
>That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their
>shoes. "
>
>work: worker at aycs.org.au / personal: jimmy at deefa.com
>msn: jimmy at deefa.com / ICQ: 6370237
>web: www.deefa.com

David Clae Gason, Secretary, Melbourne Wireless
mailto:secretary at wireless.org.au  http://melbourne.wireless.org.au

"God picks up the reed-flute world and blows.  Each note is a need coming
through one of us, a passion, a longing-pain. Remember the lips where
the wind-breath originated, and let your note be clear. Don't try to end it.
BE YOUR NOTE."	-Rumi, The Mathnawi