[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: [Technical] DNS

Roger Venning roger at venning.net
Fri Aug 9 14:15:08 EST 2002

Exactly, anything requiring certificates will benefit from global
namespace. I think also that it could be possibly to accommodate the
complexities of nodes (e.g. multiple interfaces have multiple ip
addresses and you want to name the interfaces for operational purposes)
by delegating, e.g. *.cia.mel.vic.cw.net.au to node CIA (ie. me!).

An alternative that I would throw out for consideration is
frodo.3067.cw.net.au (3067 being my postcode).

Finally it should be recognised that if zone files are generated
automatically from authoritative data sources like the nodedb (implying
IP address management with the nodedb...) then it is possible to run
these systems in parallel so they all work, of course inverse resolution
is a little more interesting - which is the primary name...

Roger.

Andrew Griffiths wrote:
> This would be very useful wrt using FreeSWAN and Opp. Encryption, and will make thingers easier to remember.
>

> On Friday, August 09, 2002 at 11:58:02 AM, Jamie Lovick wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I forwarded this to the Melbourne committee yesterday and have not had
>>any response. I thought I might openly propose it to the list for
>>everyone to consider.
>>
>>Regards
>>
>>Jamie
>>
>>--
>>Jamie Lovick    <->  IT Consultant    <-> +614 1479 1681
>>Hobby     : Doof.org                   -> jalovick at doof.org
>>Director  : Drastic Solutions Pty Ltd  -> jalovick at drasticsolutions.com.au
>>----- Public Relations Officer - the Australian Wireless Association -----

Roger Venning  \ "Research is what I'm doing when I don't
Melbourne, Aust \  know what I'm doing." Werner von Braun.