[MLB-WIRELESS] connecting

Alternate derf at optushome.com.au
Thu Aug 1 18:45:07 EST 2002

Hi,

I just signed up recently too and am also somewhat confused about a
number of things.

Firstly, I can't understand how exactly data is sent along the network.
For example, if I have my machine set up and all configured for
forwarding: Lets say that I'm machine "b" and machine "a" wants to
connect to machine "c". However, a and c have to go through b to be able
to connect to each other. So, what exactly happens? When my machine
receives packets that indicate a and c which to open a tcp connection,
does it simply start retransmitting all data it receives from a and c so
that the other machines can communicate? And another thing, lets say I
want to have a look around on the network connections around me. If I
try to list them, what happens? Does the request get sent from my
antenna, where receiving machines will both a) respond to me and b)
retransmit my packets so that other people get them? And if it does
this, doesn't this mean you can get an "echo"ing of a signal and the
possibility of a signal being transmitted over and over, bouncing from
one machine to the next, until some kind of time out is reached?
	And secondly, I read somewhere yesterday that perhaps I should be
connecting to the local radio tower, not to other peoples machines. Is
this right? Because it sounds completely different from what I've read
on www.wireless.org.au.

As you can most likely tell I'm a bit confused as to how the system
actually works. A simple link to an article explaining these questions
would be great,

Cheers,

Frederik Grunta