[MLB-WIRELESS] pc104 (embedded) questions

Victor Rajewski vik at yoyo.its.monash.edu.au
Fri Apr 26 15:10:35 EST 2002

(This is not particularly related to melbourne wireless, but its wireless
and may come in handee for future stuff, so bear with me;)

I'm working on an embedded system for datalogging irrigation systems and
want to implement it using standard PC style hardware running linux. As
such, PC104 seems to be the way to go (PC104 is a standard for plugging
small (about the size of the numeric keypad on yr keyboard) modules,
including the mainboard together).

Firstly, does anyone know of any PC104 suppliers in australia?

Secondly, I want to put a 802.11b card into such a system. This would
require a PCMCIA adapter for the system, which are available. Does anyone
know which PC104 PCMCIA adapters are compatible with linux? i.e. which
PCMCIA bridge chipsets are supported under linux, or places I might go to
to find out?

Finally, what sort of processor would b the absolute minimum to run
802.11b? PC104 processor modules go from 386SX to 486DX4-100, all of which
are fine for my application. Is there anything more processor intensive in
a wireless network card than in a normal (ethernet) card?

This info can be handee for building dedicated access points in the
future; PC104 modules are rugged as hell and are designed for such
purposes.

chow

vik

y<http://www.progsoc.org/~vik>
PGP: <http://www.progsoc.org/~vik/pgp.txt>

There is only one difference between a madman and me. I am not mad.

Salvador Dali