[MLB-WIRELESS] Backbone thoughts.

Joseph Sirucka jsirucka at dodgyware.com
Tue Oct 30 03:16:56 EST 2001

Hi

Adrian Close wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Joseph Sirucka wrote:
>
> > 802.11 gear works. As to a backbone, I think most people will be using
> > each other in a criss-cross fashion to connect to each other, so a
> > backbone as such won't develop.
>
> Think about how you might get a packet from one node to another across
> town.  There will be a backbone, although it might be more adaptive
> (routing-wise) than wired folks are used to.

yes I thought of that too. I would be easier in the suburbs were land is flat and line of sight is much more
prevalent.

> In the meantime we might fill in some of the gaps with direct, wired links
> (e.g. modems) or "wormholes" via the wired Internet (it might be slow, but
> at least it's a link - we'd still have to be careful about cost on those
> links too).  Among other things, I'm currently investigating how the
> routing might actually work...

Hmm connecting each other other means sounds not bad, but the routing starts to become compilcated. As already
doing it at home with three external networks (two using real world ip numbers) and the third wireless, isn't
so bad because I own the ips and a can afford to lose a few ips to break down into subnetmask for routing. In
the big wireless world ips aren't as affordable to lose. So its either I think 10..x.x.x or ipv6.

> Before we get to that stage, we need more links!

Yes definitely more nodes need to be real. Is there a on drew node map to update it when you are live.

> But for now I think I should get some sleep.  :)

Hey I'm at work.

> Adrian Close                    email:  adrian at close.wattle.id.au
> 1 Old Gippsland Rd.             web:    http://www.close.wattle.id.au/~adrian
> Lilydale, VIC, 3140, Australia  mobile: +61 412 385 201
>
> --
> Archive of the Entire mailinst list at:
> http://melbwireless.dyndns.org/cgi-bin/minorweb.pl?A=LIST&L=melbwireless

Joseph