[MLB-WIRELESS] more important issues <aka: guerilla radio is by ninjas, for ninjas. Worked for global IP's development!>

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Wed Oct 31 08:24:27 EST 2001

> I know some guys who are using CIPE successfully for wireless
> point to
> point links.  It's very painless to get working.  It
> encapsulates all IP
> traffic with encrypted UDP packets.  It's Linux oriented but
> there is an
> NT/2K version which is a bit broken unfortunately.   It's
> fine for point to
> point links, a la backbone.  I don't think it'll do so well

I have used CIPE successfully on both Linux and W2K with few problems.  It
certainly does what it's supposed to do.

> with dynamic
> multipoint as each end needs to be set up with static
> information.  I think
> a version with public keys is being trialled now and might
> lend itself to
> multipoint cum dynamic stuff.  Could be talking through my
> sasafras there
> though...

PKCIPE is now working, from all accounts, but only on Linux, not Windows.

IPSec gets a bit heavy for a lot of things, but one thing I do like is th
idea of opportunistic encryption, which I believe FreeS/WAN does.  That
could be very useful for our purposes.