[MLB-WIRELESS] bandwidth issues for the future/internet acces s

Michael Bailey mbailey at enternet.com.au
Fri Oct 26 03:49:21 EST 2001

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 02:39:40PM +1000, Barry Park wrote:
> My understanding is that:
>
> (i) Unless you have express consent from your ISP, feeding your Internet
> service into an open wireless connection will be against both the ISP's
> business model and possibly even the law.

I don't know of any law that prohibits you from letting your neighbour use
your internet connection. This isn't Napster. Not everything fun is illegal.

As far as ISP business models go, the right way to go would be to choose an
ISP that allows you to share your bandwidth. Read your AUP carefully and
even ask them. If your traffic usage rises too much, your ISP will probably
charge you more. So it will be up to you to manage it, just like the hundreds
of mom and pop ISPs out there. There's not much difference.

- Mike