[MLB-WIRELESS] bandwidth issues for the future/internet acces s

Barry Park bpark at theage.fairfax.com.au
Thu Oct 25 14:39:40 EST 2001

My understanding is that:

(i) Unless you have express consent from your ISP, feeding your Internet
service into an open wireless connection will be against both the ISP's
business model and possibly even the law.

(ii) Once the data is on your side of the wall socket, sharing *cached*
Internet data from a proxy server is not a problem.

Leeching should not be so much of a problem until the network expands from
point-to-point connections to wlan-like zones that allow users to connect.
The only concern with the way things are developing atm is that the serial
peer-to-peer model where each node is connected like a daisy chain will fall
over once someone along the line shuts down their PC.

I'm trying to get my head around whether I will expand from a direct
peer-to-peer connection, once I have a wireless connection up and working,
to attempting to become a wlan hub. The biggest thing that I fear by setting
up a hub - more than the minor inconvenience of firewalling out the odd
repeat leecher - are the uninvited h4x0rs sniffing and exploiting the
connection.

- Barry