[MLB-WIRELESS] hello

Richard Nelson richard.nelson at eng.monash.edu.au
Fri Oct 12 11:54:16 EST 2001

I guess it depends on what you have upstream of your wireless point.  If
it is fast etherenet you'll see the advantage.  If it is a cable modem
or ADSL it won't.

As you know CDMA/CA is not as efficient as CDMA/CD and 802.11a uses the
CA version same as 802.11b.  Consequently 54Mb/s line rate will only
give you about 40Mb/s real throughput.  There are already some products
that couple two 54Mb/s channels to give about 80Mb/s throughput but they
are proprietry so you are limited to one vendor.  You would also get
more efficiency out of hyperlan2 which uses nearly the same physical
layer as lla but a more ATM like MAC layer.

Another thing to note is that although you are less likely to suffer
interference from things like microwaves at the 5+ GHz frequency of 11a,
you won't get the same range either as atmospheric absorbtion is much
higher and propogation around corners and through walls is much less
too.  It is a one base station per room type technology.  For high speed
long range links you will have to wait for 802.11g (27 Mb/s in the
2.4GHz band).

Price is going to depend on what the market can bear.  I have seen
reports that in Japan 11a is a lot more expensive than 11b because they
are prepared to pay it.  In the US the difference is not so high.  I
suspect that in Australia we will get a raw deal for a while until there
are many manufacturers and importers.

Richard.