[MLB-WIRELESS] DNS, DHCP, static ip...

Kim Hawtin kim at aldigital.co.uk
Mon Nov 19 21:04:58 EST 2001

> Matthew Boyd wrote:
>
> >Heyas,
> >I read the rfc again (maybe a link from the main page would be
> >a good idea?). Maybe we can incorporate the postcode of the suburb
> >into the ip of each node?

> This is a *really* good idea, you could then tell who is in your area
> from their ips, which is a nifty aspect.
> There is no real difficulty with doing this sort of thing is there? With
> an ip number of xxx.xxx.yyy.yyy the Internet governs to some extent the
> xxx.xxxx aspect  of the number, but we control the yyy.yyy bit, right?

hmm ... you could do this if you were using IPv6, as you would have
a lot of numbers to play with... if for example you were using
private IP's, and you were 10.100.0.0/16 for the wireless transport
network, you have 255 numbers each to a post code, but that
would limit you to 254 hosts in each subnet, assuming that you were
running something like mobile mesh as a routing protocol.

but then you would have to allocate the client network numbers out
of another network.... about this point it gets really messy... =/

know what suburb someone is in by the IP is not really very useful,
as you still have no idea of the distance between you and the other
node, and in a heavily populated wireless suburb you can run out of
IP address... but a good DNS scheme is very useful =)

yours,

Kim
--
| A.L. Digital Ltd.   Tel: +44 (20) 8742 0755     | There are two things     |