[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: [OT] Network programming (was: random stuff... was: hardware database online)

Jeremy Howard jh_lists at fastmail.fm
Sun Aug 26 20:47:07 EST 2001

Daniel Studds wrote:
> You're right, I could learn network programming in any number of
> places, perl and C are kinda similar (I have a little bit of
> experience with both) so either would do. I said C++ in the first
> place though because OOP seems a lot neater to me than procedural
> languages.

Yes, I find C++ neater than C too and it sounds fine for what you want to do
(although be aware that there are a lot of cross-platform issues due to
varying compiler support of some features, particularly template related).
However your question was about learning TCP-IP programming--my point is
that even in a C++ program you'll probably want to use the standard C BSD
library calls since: they supported under basically every platform,
including Windows (which is based on BSD code), Linux (and everything
POSIX), and Mac OS X; they work well; they are straightforward to use; and
they are well documented at both a tutorial and a reference level.

For learning the BSD calls your best bet are the references I pointed to in
my last email. They are basically the same functions regardless of whether
you decide to do your initial learning under Perl or C/C++.

If you want to get into more advanced network programming, such as playing
directly with TCP-IP packets, have a look at W. Richard Stevens' "TCP-IP
Illustrated" books which are a great reference.

HTH,
  Jeremy