[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: random stuff... was: hardware database online

Jeremy Howard j+list at howard.fm
Sun Aug 26 17:29:55 EST 2001

Daniel Studds wrote:
> in a seperate but somehow related issue, anyone got some good newb
> links for TCP/IP (esp. in C++) coding under linux?
>
> >ok its 3am, u must have >= life of me

Heh ;-)

There's no particular C++ specific issues for TCP/IP coding. Generally folks
use C, since the BSD library is so well-supported. If you want to learn
network programming in C, it depends on your background. If you know Perl
you might prefer to start there. You can learn Perl network programming with
'Learning Perl' (new edition just out--if you don't know much Perl) followed
by 'Network Programming with Perl' (by the wonderful Lincoln Stein). This is
a good way to learn TCP/IP programming because the socket functions are all
basically the same as C, but you don't have to worry about all the
C-specific issues (memory management, compilation, etc) and you get the
interactivity of a scripting language.

To move into C TCP/IP programming, there's great resources on the web:
  http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~chafey/prog/sockets/sinfo1.html
  http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~beej/guide/net/
  http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~bentlema/unix/advipc/ipc.html

These are what I learned to get the hang of the basics. Then, buy yourself a
copy of W. Richard Stevens' classics:
  http://www1.fatbrain.com/asp/bookinfo/bookinfo.asp?theisbn=013490012X&vm=
and if you're interested in IPC as well:
  http://www1.fatbrain.com/asp/bookinfo/bookinfo.asp?theisbn=0130810819&vm=

Hope this helps,
  Jeremy

PS: Are you really sure you want to learn network programming in C? Perl
supports everything that C does here, and is way easier to use and just as
fast. I've never actually found the need in real life to write anything
TCP/IP related in C, except for creating hooks to existing programs that
only support C.