[MLB-WIRELESS] Dry copper pairs

Jeremy Howard j+list at howard.fm
Sat Aug 25 14:09:36 EST 2001

Daniel Studds wrote:

> Make your own DSL:
> (short link, and well worth the read)
> http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20010823.html
>
> this looks to me as owning, could be a way for all us peeps with no
> LOS to link together, although i itsy bit more expensive, and a lower
> theoretical maximum speed (perhaps faster real-world speed?)

I believe this is what Telstra calls (called?) PAPL, which I don't think
they offer any more. Last time I heard of someone actually getting a new
PAPL line was about 4 years ago...

At the time they were certainly much the cheapest connection available,
although some lines didn't work because of something Telstra put on the line
(the term 'pair gain' comes to mind but I'm not sure if that's right).