[MLB-WIRELESS] propaganda squad

Connections Consulting connex at coco.net.au
Tue Aug 21 08:04:30 EST 2001

Well At the moment, shools are paying for internet access (mainly from
schoolsnet), the service is slowish and based around ISDN (costly).
Wireless is faster, cheaper and let face it, what the school is paying
for access now, may be put to better use, possibly lowering of school
fees (yeh right !)

As far as commercial enterprises being involved in this area, that's
fine...the market is big enough and really, we wont be looking at
anything except for cost recovery and money to put back into the
system..

Basically offering to community groups (welfare centers, charities
etc...) in low socio economic areas maybee, the nuts and bolts will have
to really be worked out, but the concept has some merit and of course we
get to use drews 500gb aarnet mirror ! :).

In short, the basic premise is that we "connect" a community building
(school, library, welfare center etc..) by sticking an antenna on its
roof, we don't pay rent because they don't pay access fees (or very low
access fees), we find a couple of nice unis or socially minded
corporates (hehe, maybee we can shame a couple of them..) that will give
us access to their capacity (During the day, should be lowish traffic,
evening, with all the gamers... Well there go the traffic estimates :) )
and in theory we have a network that we all can use.  I agree that this
may be idealistic, but hey if we want to get something rolling, maybee
this is the way, unless someone else has a great idea, then share it
with us so we can throw it around...

Frank