[MLB-WIRELESS] Is Melbourne Wireless alive?

Daniel Carosone daniel.carosone at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 09:35:33 AEST 2015

The group is alive, the network is alive, the website is indeed a little
un-loved.

As to your last point: pretty much, but it depends a little on where you're
going to connect (some links use the vendor-specific TDMA modes, which
might influence your choice of which specific inexpensive hardware to
choose :).

On 14 April 2015 at 08:21, James Fysh <james.fysh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm just about to move into a new house in Doncaster East (have already
> configured the node "KVW" at the new address), and recently my interest in
> Melbourne Wireless was re-sparked (I was first interested in this group
> back when I lived up in Olinda many years ago, but quickly realized I
> couldn't get LOS to the GHO node or anyone else).
>
> I am wondering;
>
>    - The http://melbourne.wireless.org.au/ website looks a bit un-loved -
>    is the group still generally active?
>    - Are the details of active nodes on that website still considered
>    "current"?  I feel like the count of active sites hasn't shifted all that
>    much since I was interested in this stuff 10-12 years ago - is this just a
>    reflection of the site being neglected?
>    - I grabbed some elevation data from the VicData website, and have
>    built up some tooling to determine LOS using that data - how do others tend
>    to determine LOS?
>    - It seems like these Ubiquiti wireless devices are all the rage -
>    would I be correct in assuming that setting up these days could be as cheap
>    as buying a NanoBeam M5 (assuming I already have the other relevant
>    hardware to attach to the ethernet port of said device, and perform routing
>    etc)?
>
> I probably have more questions, but I really just wanted to gauge if it's
> worth getting excited about Melbourne Wireless, or if it's been superseded
> by the prevalence of relatively cheap broadband etc?
>
> Regards,
>
> James

Dan.