[MLB-WIRELESS] IPv6 and the network

Greg McLennan mclennan at internode.on.net
Wed Jan 23 14:58:41 EST 2013

Hi Russell.

     I too have pondered this in recent times. My `home' LAN has dual
stack running. My ISP internode has given me a large(everything is large
in ipv6!) static v6 range as part of my normal PPPoE connection. For the
most part it works great on my mikrotik & LAN.

If it were to be implented on M/W I would image that there will need to
be some ground rules set up by a working group to work out the
equivilent of subnets for nodes and then there is DNS. If DNS was not
set for ipv6, pinging something like fe80::21b:63ff:feab:e6a6 if going
to do my head in ... I'd rather do ping  kmt.v6.melbournewireless.org or
similar if you catch my drift..

There is also the issue of some current networking gear in the feild not
nativly passing ipv6 traffic unless the devices are in bridge mode. All
in all there is much pre-work to be thought about and impleneted before
I see me clicking on my ospf v3 button!!..

Cheers
Greg..