[MLB-WIRELESS] Melbourne Wireless site and SSL.

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Fri Jul 20 20:10:13 EST 2012

Hi all,

We're having a bit of indecision at the moment, so I decided to get the
input of the majority on the list on the matter.

I've configured up https://www.melbournewireless.org.au to work to get
the entire web site over an SSL encrypted link. This helps protect your
privacy while operating over unencrypted or insecure links. It also
helps keep your details while logging into the site safe.

There have been differing opinions between the dev teams and committee
regarding if the site should be moved to https (SSL encrypted) only.

It is my personal belief that in this day and age that everything that
can be secure in transit is configured so that it is. Google etc seem to
feel the same - as all of their services are available via https (yes,
even YouTube!).

I'd like to get the opinion of the list into if Melbourne Wireless
should default to https access to the site - thereby reaping the
benefits of SSL. Existing non-ssl access (ie via
http://www.melbournewireless.org.au) will be redirected to the secure
version of the same content.

This has the up side that by default, everything on the site will be
secure from eavesdropping on unsecured connections. A side benefit is
that it will also consolidate all our domains within various search
engines - increasing our ranking.

The down site is that some odd devices may throw up a security warning
when you try to visit the site. At this point, I have only managed to
find a single Nokia phone that does this.

Tested working:
	* Windows 7: Chrome, IE, Firefox, Safari
	* Windows XP: Chome, IE, Firefox, Safari
	* Linux: RHEL 6.2 + Firefox
	* Android Gingerbread + ICS Browser
	* Apple iPad + Safari

Tested with warning:
	* Tysons Nokia something phone.

If you would like to expand this list, feel free to browse to
https://www.melbournewireless.org.au on any device you can.

Any general discussion on this is also welcome. (Please CC
committee at wireless.org.au with your thoughts).

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au