No subject

Tue Jan 17 15:36:28 EST 2012

http://internet.aca.gov.au/ACAINTER.65636:STANDARD:317109896:pc=PC_1766

"It is important that the tests are considered in conjunction with each
other rather than in isolation."

and...

"In general, if the cost of operating the network to supply carriage
services is consistently less than the financial return from that supply, it
is likely that the network is used to make a profit and is operating on a
commercial basis."

Conversely; could it not, in general, be assumed that an organisation whose
financial details are public and whose stated aim is to facilitate
community-level network services on a non-profit basis does not need a
carrier licence to offer Internet access?

I know we've been over this before, many many times.  I'm asking the
question again because I feel the need to question the "Accepted Wisdom" on
this issue because there seems to be an opportunity to which we are blinding
ourselves to.  Internet Access on the network could massively increase the
rate of growth and popularity of the network and prevent it from stagnating
and dying, which at the moment I worry it is doing.  Being an ISP certainly
isn't what Melbourne Wireless should be about, but allowing Internet Access
could open many doors currently closed to the network.  Just see how big and
important community-based, Internet sharing networks such as Seattle
Wireless have become in their communities.

Internet Access doesn't mean we are "selling out" any more than a Community
Radio station playing popular music "sells out".  Community radio stations
ask that listeners pay an optional subscription fee if they like what they
hear.  As well as paying for the music royalties, these subscription fees
also pay for the construction and upkeep of the station's infrastructure.
At the moment I feel that Melbourne Wireless is like a radio station with no
music - intellectual to some, but boring to the majority.

One of the tests on the fact sheet is Contractural Arrangements - that is,
if we demand money in return for Internet access, then we are a commercial
network.  But what if we offer capped, low-bandwidth Internet access freely,
and only ask for a donation if the user is happy with the service?  I don't
believe that this constitutes a "Contractural Arrangement" - we would not
"prescribe" the payment of money, we would only ask for donations.   If we
think creatively, there are many arrangements and agreements that would keep
us within the ACA's definition of a non-commercial network, but would allow
us to make the network a more popular and usable community asset.

There are presently over 800 nodes registered on the Melbourne Wireless
website.  If one quarter of those nodes donated $50 a year Melbourne
Wireless Inc. would have an annual income of $10000.  Money like that allows
us to put up some decent backbone equipment, which would in turn allow us to
seriously spread the reach of the network.  Of course the "donation" could
be in the form of the membership fee - with the understanding that the
provision or quality of Internet access is not linked to membership status.

I am more than willing to accept more informed legal advice than my own
research on this matter - but the FAQ and Fact Sheet seem pretty
straightforward to me.  I honestly can't see how it can be interpreted that
the spirit of the Telecommunucations legislation is to prevent the
non-commercial, community-level offering of Internet access without a
licence, unless there is something in the Act itself that isn't covered by
the FAQ or Fact Sheet.  Which would mean that the FAQ and Fact Sheet aren't
worth the electrons they're transmitted on.

If it ever comes to a decision as to whether or not Melbourne Wireless Inc.
actually offers Internet access I'm quite happy to accept the democratic
decision of the majority either way (of course).  I just worry that the
vocal majorty's present attude towards this issue is to put it into the "too
hard" basket, and to berate any person who dares bring it up.

Cheers,

Dan