No subject

Tue Jan 17 15:36:28 EST 2012

- Barry

NYC Time Warner Cable sending nastygrams to free 802.11 points?

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 15:24:52 -0400
To: politech at politechbot.com
Subject: FC: NYC Time Warner Cable sending nastygrams to free 802.11
points?
From: Declan McCullagh <declan at well.com>

---

From: "rick tait" <rickt at rickt.org>
To: <politech at politechbot.com>
Cc: <press at nycwireless.net>, <info at nycwireless.net>
use 802.11 and offer "free" access
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 14:22:31 -0400

Declan,

I've not seen anything on Politech regarding this specific issue before,
but
my roommate just called me and let me know that Time Warner Cable of NYC
has
just sent me a snotty letter basically telling me to shut off my public
access point immediately - PERIOD - as its not allowed according to the
contract I signed to get their cable service.

I don't have the letter in front of me, but if you're interested, I can
get
it to you this evening.

I plan on calling/writing to TWCNYC and asking them if they consider an
access-protected 802.11 network is still an infringement of their
contract,
meaning if I only allow MYSELF access, and no-one else. Is the fact that
its
just "there" (admittedly unusable by anyone without the access key) an
exception to the contract?

Now I have to shield my apartment in lead because I can't "advertise" my
own
private 802.11 network because the backend of the network is TWCNYC's?

I don't like where this is going.

RMT.

barry park
http://members.optushome.com.au/barrypark/