No subject

Tue Jan 17 15:36:28 EST 2012

and using the supplied Xircom "Link Status Meter" Software the signal
strength varies from around  95% to a low of 35%, whilst the signal clarity
scale varies likewise from the mid 90% to the low 30%.

If I place the laptop on top of the computer that has the PCI Prism II card
that is acting as my access point I get a rock steady 98% on both strength
and clarity.

However, if I then put the card in the Dell I get dramatically different
results. Whilst the signal strength measure stays basically the same, the
clarity measure never rises above 20%.

In fact if I put the Dell on top of the access point I have strength 98%,
clarity 20%.

Generally the card is perfectly usable in the Dell, although I have had to
adjust the retries to max and disable short radio packet headers.

Can anyone give a reasonable explanation of why the card performs so
dramatically differently in two laptops?

If I had never put the card in the Toshiba I would have been suspicious of
my Host AP lash-up.

Cheers

Tony Smith

Connected to the internet in Sunny Far North Queensland Australia
http://www.tonsyl.org