[MLB-WIRELESS] Antenna heights ... what's your practical experience like?

Greg McLennan mclennan at internode.on.net
Mon Oct 31 14:04:32 EST 2011

Hi David.

I'v had good experience using http://www.ubnt.com/airlink/
for height calculations(try IE and or Firefox, is a bit buggy sometimes).
I'm running a 6Km link @ 2.4GHz with a small hill around the 3km mark
that I needed to get over, and comparing heights from the program to
actual physical install was well with a meter for my experience.

I did note for the install however that 2.4GHz worked well, yet @ 5.8GHz
for the same link and height antenna I could not establish a link.(I
physically could not go higher). I could see stations at 5.8GHz that
were further away than my intended sites from both points!. 2.4GHz
(-69dBm), yet 5.8(same gain antenna 25dBm & tx-power) could not even
site the remote ap(weird!!)...

Good luck David.
Greg VK3JIY...