[MLB-WIRELESS] Alternative firmware for Realtek 8186 and Ralink 305x SoCs

Jason Hecker jhecker at wireless.org.au
Wed Mar 30 11:08:56 EST 2011

On 28 March 2011 19:29, Tim Rogers <securistoremelbourne at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On 28/03/2011 3:42 PM, Jason Hecker wrote:
>
> I have recently come across a Russian based site that supports alternative
> open source firmware for the venerable Realtek 8186 chip and newer and very
> cheap Ralink 305x SoCs.  I have a Minitar MWGAP which I will try the 8186
> firmware out on later this week as I am still using it in client mode for a
> PC but it's pretty unreliable (needs a power cycle veryday as it stops
> talking to the AP).  I have also tried the Ralink firmware on an OEM
> 802.11bgn 2.4GHz AP/router with success.
>
> Either way both chips have current and working source code available for
> hacking as well as binary blobs to install.  Just use translate.google.comto understand the site.
>
> http://wive-ng.sourceforge.net/

>  I would be very interested to hear the results. I think this device has a
> lot of potential as it seems to have quite high ouput. I have been mucking
> around with the MWGAP as well. I will try this myself anyway. Thanks for the
> info.

I have just installed the wive.bin file onto my MWGAP with success using the
web based firmware upgrade option.  I thought I had bricked it as it doesn't
respond to pings but sshing in to 100.200.200.249 brought it to life.  There
is no web page, just ssh and a simple text menu with vi based editing.  Now
to work out what the fsck it all means!  Finally, after all these years I
have alternative firmware for my old MWGAP!  Are you there Serialmonkey?

So I can safely say that the RA3052 firmware and RTL8186 firmware from the
above site does indeed work!  I guess it's an alternative to using dd-wrt -
and there is source for both too.  Apparently for RA3052 devices dd-wrt
doesn't use the hardware IP accelerator but the wive formwire does.