[MLB-WIRELESS] Alternative firmware for Realtek 8186 and Ralink 305x SoCs

Jason Hecker jhecker at wireless.org.au
Mon Mar 28 15:42:26 EST 2011

I have recently come across a Russian based site that supports alternative
open source firmware for the venerable Realtek 8186 chip and newer and very
cheap Ralink 305x SoCs.  I have a Minitar MWGAP which I will try the 8186
firmware out on later this week as I am still using it in client mode for a
PC but it's pretty unreliable (needs a power cycle veryday as it stops
talking to the AP).  I have also tried the Ralink firmware on an OEM
802.11bgn 2.4GHz AP/router with success.

Either way both chips have current and working source code available for
hacking as well as binary blobs to install.  Just use
translate.google.comto understand the site.

http://wive-ng.sourceforge.net/