[MLB-WIRELESS] Fixing failed capacitors on hardware

Jason Hecker jhecker at wireless.org.au
Tue Mar 22 15:30:26 EST 2011

Yes, it's true.  It would seem modern computer and electronics hardware has
a built in shelf life - by virtue of manufacturers using the cheapest
electrolytic capacitors thay can get their hands on.

My Minitar MWGAP, after many years of service gave up the ghost the other
day.  It started making buzzing sounds and got very warm on one end.  I
suspected one or more of the electrolytics in the PSU area had failed and
upon removing and testing them one had become open circuit and another only
had 70uF instead of 100uF capacitance.  $3 later at Jaycar I replaced all 7
electrolytics anyway and the AP is working again and back in service.

You may find that your wireless or other PC hardware fails after a while,
especially if the electrolytics are kept pretty warm by virtue of their
surrounding components, environment (especially if it's in the roof or on a
mast) or the internal resistance (ESR) of the cheapie electrolytic is too
high for the currents that ebb and flow from it.  It's probably worth the
effort to at least trying to replace the electrolytic capacitors and see how
you go than bin the offending item and spend money on a replacement.

I have had to replace electrolytics in failed video cards and PC
motherboards for the same reason, but in those instances the caps. had
bulged and leaked.  They won't always do that if they just dry out over
time.

Don't try this though if you don't have your ACMA Soldering Iron License.