[MLB-WIRELESS] Routing protocols

David Coles coles.david at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 10:01:40 EST 2011

Hi Albert,

We currently have about 115 routes advertised on OSPF. Mostly they're
running in broadcast mode, though we do have one or two point-to-point
links across VPNs. Initially we tried setting things up with several
areas (corresponding with areas of Melbourne) but found the "all areas
must link to the backbone" too much overhead. Currently everything runs
on a single zone. Seems to have been quite reliable provided we have
reasonable links that don't "flap" up and down.

There are one or two nodes that run BGP, but never really seemed to
displace OSPF.

As far as I know we've not really played around with many mesh protocols
since most of our links seem to be medium to long (5km-100km) point to
point connections.

Cheers,
David