[MLB-WIRELESS] Public IP address space?

Mike Everest mw at freenet.net.au
Wed Jun 22 09:57:47 EST 2011

Excellent way to do it! :)

 - we do this with great effect using a VM running mikrotik RouterOS in
front of a whole swag of VM appliances.  RouterOS needs only a couple of
hundred meg of RAM and a couple of hundred meg of disk to run at full speed,
so adds bugger-all overhead to the system.

We install all appliance VMs with only a virtual network interface to a
private virtual switch, and the router VM has an interface to the virtual
switch and one bridged to a physical interface.

The downside, of course, is that you can only run once web server on port 80
for each real world IP address on the router, (and only one service on every
other port) but we get around this by using the routerOS vpn support to put
the virtual subnets online to our HQ network via tunnels to our central vpn
server!

You can even use the free version of RouterOS to do all this!

Cheers,  Mike.