[MLB-WIRELESS] Dlink DWL-G510 causing frequent system resets

Michael Borthwick holden at netspace.net.au
Thu Feb 3 09:35:43 EST 2011

Installed a Dlink DWL-G510 PCI wireless networking card in the PC of a
friends son last night that they bought off ebay for $8.

Machine won't run for more than a few minutes without resetting, this
can occur at any point including during initial boot or once Windows
has loaded, however if the machine stays up long enough the card
actually does seem to work and connect to the cable modem wireless
gateway.

Tried the card in the 2nd PCI slot on a whim and the machine produced
a rapid continuous series of short beeps during POST and went no
further. Pulled the card and the continuous beeps still began
immediately the machine was powered up - scary. Assumed a stuck reset
button and disconnected the plug from the mobo header. Machine was
then stable.

Hard to believe the reset button issue arose at the same time as
installing this card but anything is possible when you're dealing with
PC's.

Reinstalled the Dlink DWL-G510 PCI card and again machine would
spontaneously reset back to a warm start without any warning after a
period of anything from a few seconds to a few minutes.

I would assume this is some sort of low-level electrical problem with
the card rather than a driver, firmware issue - perhaps it is causing
a short or overloading the power supply ...

Any thoughts on how to debug the problem or should we bin the card ?

If the latter does anyone have a PCI wireless card kicking around that
they would let go cheaply - prefer a Dlink as they aren't a techy
household and I would like to keep their wireless infrastructure as
homogenous as possible.

Cheers,

Mike