[MLB-WIRELESS] Debugging 915mhz weather station?

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at vkradio.com
Sun Mar 21 18:07:49 EST 2010

At 05:25 PM 3/21/2010, Mike Everest wrote:

>That may be so, but I suspect that it is quite probably a two-way link
>between the 'transmitter' and 'receiver'.  I dare say that the wireless
>system is built from off-the-shelf components, and so will be a two-way
>link.  At the very least, the 'receiver' will be sending ack-responses for
>the data received from the outdoor unit.

Not necessarily.  There are a lot of transmitter/receiver pairs
designed for one way communications such as this.  The transmitter of
these chipsets is just that, a transmitter, and the receive is only a
receiver.  I have used these sorts of things (albeit on 433 MHz,
rather than 915 MHz) for remote control projects.

>In which case, if the receive circuits of the outdoor unit are damaged by a
>nearby lightning strike (for example) then it will still affect the
>communication between the two devices.

I'd doubt there is a receive circuit up the mast.  I could be wrong,
but I can't see why there would be one, when matched
transmitter/receiver pairs are readily available for the common ISM bands.

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com