[MLB-WIRELESS] Server Virtualisation - (was RE: possible vpn

mw at freenet.net.au mw at freenet.net.au
Wed Mar 17 11:14:34 EST 2010

Good morning,

OK, I won't need it, but I'm sure that if someone else would like to take advantage of the offer, then they will let us/you know! :-)

I have this little IBM pizza box here that I intend to run up as an ESX platform as per recent email.  It has a 1.4GHz P4 and a gig of ram.  I'd have to check to be sure, but I suspect it probably has a pair of 100gig disks of some description.

If I can get some extra RAM into it and maybe bigger disks, then we'll have something that should be able to support a half dozen linux VMs of various descriptions.  I'd like to take on a project to load up a copy of the current MW system, and then make it available as a dev platform for volunteers to have a go at.

Over time, we should be able to build up enough expertise to give you and the original coders a bit of a well deserved break - perhaps take on a more supervisory role, or maintainer role, rather than one of actual coding.  With this kind of setup, all we need is a code update submission process so that updates can be conducted on a dev platform, then updated to a staging platform, before final submission to the maintainer to load onto the live system.  And If that live system is also (perchance) a VM, then it we could take a snapshot of the running system prior to update, and roll back in a pinch if something goes wrong.

"What say you?" ;-)

Cheers,  Mike.