[MLB-WIRELESS] Server Virtualisation - (was RE: possible vpn

mw at freenet.net.au mw at freenet.net.au
Wed Mar 17 10:33:24 EST 2010

G'day!

> Hmm, minor nitpick...  Does VMware Server run under XP?  Last time I
> looked, it only ran under Windows Server (and of course, Linux).

VMWare server runs on any windows platform including XP - I've run it under
XP myself for years.  It makes for an excellent dev platform.

> Maybe there's a need for "dev"/test systems, so the apprentices can
> play (and break things)?

Exactly!  What better way to learn than break it and then have to try to
repair it! ;-)

> I'm just an interested spectator, for the most part.  I haven't
> checked the node database for a while, but there were none close
> enough when I was active.  Maybe it's time to take another look. :)

Yes, please do! :)  whare are you located?  Would you consider setting up an
AP node with VPN backhaul to the MW network as in interim?

> As for VMs, I have a couple running, namely a ham radio related VM in
> Adelaide under Xen (which has quite a bit running on it!), and
> another VM in the US, which hosts a web server and a couple of other
> bits and pieces.

Cool - Virtualisation is definitely the way of the future.  I honestly can't
think of many reasons (certainly not any GOOD reasons ;-) to load an OS on
the bare metal these days.

But I'm sure I'll hear a few suggestions if I listen long enough! :-D

Cheers!

Mike.