[MLB-WIRELESS] Server Virtualisation - (was RE: possible vpn

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at vkradio.com
Wed Mar 17 10:15:41 EST 2010

At 10:03 AM 3/17/2010, mw at freenet.net.au wrote:

>In any case, if the VMs were readily available, they can be run by anyone
>under whatever virtualisation system is available - including VMWare server
>running under XP.

Hmm, minor nitpick...  Does VMware Server run under XP?  Last time I
looked, it only ran under Windows Server (and of course, Linux).

>The best way for a new contributor to learn how the system works is to give
>them high level access (I avoid the term 'root' since that seems to ring
>alarm bells around here ;-) and let them play.

Maybe there's a need for "dev"/test systems, so the apprentices can
play (and break things)?

>So to all: if you are sick of my ranting, feel free to publicly denounce my
>crapola - else do it off list if you prefer.  I will interpret the absence
>of vitriol as implicit permission to continue being a serial suisance ;-D

I'm just an interested spectator, for the most part.  I haven't
checked the node database for a while, but there were none close
enough when I was active.  Maybe it's time to take another look. :)

As for VMs, I have a couple running, namely a ham radio related VM in
Adelaide under Xen (which has quite a bit running on it!), and
another VM in the US, which hosts a web server and a couple of other
bits and pieces.

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com