[MLB-WIRELESS] wiki and spam

Tom Fifield tfifield at melbournewireless.org.au
Tue Mar 16 23:48:11 EST 2010

Hi,

Random pastings from my postings on the coders list ...

Based on what we've seen so far, my guess is that spammers:

* are not members
* don't give us any optional information (address, phone)
* don't use anything advanced (adv & subscribed)
* don't have any nodes

SELECT * FROM `users` WHERE memberNo=0 AND address = '' AND phone = ''
AND adv IS NULL and subscribed IS NULL AND users.username NOT IN (SELECT
owner from nodes) ORDER BY `users`.`last_seen`  DESC

So if we want a permanent solution to the spam problem, we need to
somehow restrict wiki access to accounts fitting the criteria.

Right now only 835 of the 4000 account fit these criteria - we can
reduce this further by looking at email domain names.

One idea would be to introduce a captcha for these accounts. However, in
the past I've actually got into email discussions with the spammers ...
and they seem to be real people (in 3rd-world countries) rather than
scripts. One even (in chinese) said he understood and would stop!

So I'm not convinced a captcha would give results, but it can't hurt too
much to try.

However, this doesn't stop people creating accounts in the first place.

Interestingly, only 100 of our 600+ hotmail users(the most popular
domain) have a node and 77 of those haven't been seen for over a year:
select users.username, users.name, users.last_seen from users INNER JOIN
nodes ON nodes.owner=users.username WHERE SUBSTRING_INDEX(email,'@',-1)
="hotmail.com" AND users.last_seen < '2009-1-29'

So given current spam levels, I'd probably add hotmail.com to the
email-blacklist.conf too.

Still thinking.

Regards,

Tom