[MLB-WIRELESS] wiki and spam

mw at freenet.net.au mw at freenet.net.au
Tue Mar 16 23:34:40 EST 2010

Since the issue has been raised and complained about several times, I guess
it is high time that someone put up a hand to chip in and fix it.

Before that can be done, there are a couple of obvious questions that need
to be asked:

1.  what is it based on - I assume it is some open source solution that's
been somehow integrated to the MW site, so what is the original source?
2.  where is the admin for it (if any)?  Again, the assumption is that there
is some kind of admin interface where access security can be set for
individual users, grant and revoke read/write rights etc.

There are two possible solutions to this problem the way I see it:

a. shut down write access to the wiki to only users who have been vetted -
e.g financial members or similar
b. add captcha test on account sign-up

the latter probably has limited value if a real human is even involved in
creation of user access accounts - dunno if that is the case here though...?

Anyhow, if someone can give up some access details and background info, then
if nobody else fesses up to having any skills in this sort of thing, then
let me at it.  I have about as much spare time as the next giy (as in
'bugger all' ;-) so let me at it!

Cheers,  Mike.