[MLB-WIRELESS] AFACT vs iiNET - implications for internet filtering?

masked at internode.on.net masked at internode.on.net
Fri Feb 5 09:25:57 EST 2010

}Yeah but I don't want to pirate death threats, that's boring.
 On Fri 05/02/10  8:49 AM , "'Mike Everest'" mw at freenet.net.au sent:
 Interesting commentary from Paul Budde this morning:
 (from:http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/335062/iinet_outcome_global_si

 gnificance_budde/?eid=-180)
 ----------------------
 Also crucial in the outcome was the reaffirmation of the notion that
ISPs
 are, in effect, the middlemen of the internet and therefore could not
be
 viewed as being responsible for the actions of end users, Budde said.

 "The same principle applies to Australia Post which is not
responsible if it
 delivers a letter which contains death threats to someone," he said.
 Locally, the principle that ISPs should not be responsible for
policing the
 action of their end users had the potential to re-ignite the debate
on
 ISP-level content filtering, Budde said.
 "The question now is: can [communications minister] Stephen Conroy
now
 legally force ISPs to take on the role of policeman," he said. "While

 everyone in principle everyone agrees with the idea of protecting
children,
 what he is doing could now be challenged based on the outcome of this
kind
 of court case."
 Cheers!