[MLB-WIRELESS] MW Services/Content

mw at freenet.net.au mw at freenet.net.au
Mon Mar 23 21:05:00 EST 2009

Hi Russ,

Private reply was not intentional - returned to general discussion (if any
interest)

> I'm not sure if you meant to drop the list from the reply or not.  So
> I've just replied to you as the email you sent was only to me.
> > That is essentially my point - sure, you can set up zone forwarding from
any
> > DNS server software, but since probably 99% of all nodes on the MW will
> > probably use the DNS of their local ISP, then there is no way to make
these
> > services available to most nodes.

> Can't we get them to use our DNS instead of their ISP's DNS?  Most
> windows/mac computers will let you set DNS, even if you are using DHCP.

Perhaps, but how do we "get them" to do 'anything'? ;-)

> > Sorry - I don't think I understand what you mean by 'split dns' and
'split
> > zones'
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-horizon_DNS

Hmm, OK - I can't really see how that would be relevant in this case.  We
don't have any real way of determining whether requests are from internal or
external clients, since requests could easily come from either side of the
'split'

> Technically that's what wikipedia calls it, but I've always referred to
> it as split DNS.  Basically when on at 10.10 address, you resolve all
> your hostnames to 10.10 addresses using the MW internal DNS server.
> When you are on the internet, you resolve using the external DNS server,
> getting public ip's, eg 203.23.237.200 for melbourne.wireless.org.au.

That would only work if all MW clients are using the 'internal' DNS - which
can never be guaranteed.

I suppose it would be easy to simply provide the service and then announce
"to access the service do this..." and provide some instructions - perhaps
write up a wiki page for example.

But perhaps it might be a good idea first to make something of a "straw
poll" to find out if anyone would even be interested in using such a
service...

> I wouldn't say the person who controls it is necessarily the person who
> set it up originally.

I reckon that is a relatively safe bet ;-)

> http://www.melbournewireless.org.au/wiki/?DNSConvention and
> http://www.melbournewireless.org.au/wiki/?DomainNameSystem have at least
> something to say about the direction that's been desired in the passed.
> I'm less than convinced anybody except you and I are interested enough
> to actually give any recommendations.  I see the best method is to make
> a proposal and sell the benefits to others.

Sure thing.

> I've a hint that Tyson is relatively involved in the website, I'm trying
> to contact him about that and see if he knows anything about DNS
> management.  I'll keep you posted.

Okeydokey.

> I'm more keen on a direct link rather than an interface.  I'll push
> ahead with finding out more details about website owner before I embark
> on this project.

A properly designed xml interface is way more flexible and functional.  It
allows structured exchange of data in a controlled and robust fashion.

> > OK, I am reasonably well versed in C, C++, Java, and Coldfusion.  I have
> > done a fair bit of work with bind, particularly with implementation of
> > dynamic database driven updates.  I am also relatively handy with Linux
> > systems (most of my infrastructure servers are debian,
> >
> Well, PHP is quite a bit like C and the website currently uses PHP so I
> suspect we will be continuing to use that.  If you are good with Debian,
> then you are good with Ubuntu as well.  I just feel like Debian software
> has to be old before it makes it to stable.

Yeah right - PHP is about as much like C as perl is like vb! ;-)

> My current action plan is to continue to just email and push to find out
> who looks after the website and DNS.  And at the same time, attempt to
> get a node up.  If I can achieve one or both of those it will be a great
> help.

That's a good start.

Cheers.