[MLB-WIRELESS] MW Services/Content

Russell Smith mr-russ at pws.com.au
Mon Mar 23 08:46:12 EST 2009

mw at freenet.net.au wrote:
> G'day Russell,
> [snip]
>
> If they run their own DNS system, it is possible to refer requests for
> 10.10.x.x to your server, but otherwise they would have to use your DNS for
> *all* resolution requests - i.e. even google.com and yahoo.com etc etc.

BIND forwarders will do this for you.  PowerDNS has the same forwarding
feature.  Or they can slave the zone.  All are options for both forward
and reverse DNS.  I'm not sure it's a big problem resolving all DNS from
our server.  If we peer with someone who's able to provide DNS it will
be fine for most cases.  Depending on the skill level we expect node
operators to have, even getting our DNS server working with their
Internet connection can be a big task.  Let alone their own DNS server.
> The other way around is not so hard - like resolve
> kct.melbourne.wireless.org.au to an ip address. Actually, I'd suggest that
> it would be something more like:  kct.node.melbournewireless.org.au

I'm still a fan of split DNS in such a way that you can map the same
hostname internally and externally.  It makes for less to remember.  I
also like the idea of split zoning wireless.org.au, because we will be
connected to adelaide wireless soon, and if we get other cities
connected it would be nice to have a uniform DNS structure, if
possible.  eg melbourne.wireless.org.au, adelaide.wireless.org.au.

We need to discuss and work out what format the DNS will be in.  I'll
start a second thread for that when I get a moment (probably tomorrow)
if somebody doesn't start one beforehand.
> This way, the node lookup database can be independent of the main DNS zone.
> Which leads to the next question: Who manages the MelbourneWireless DNS
> anyway?
>
> Can anyone Answer?

Where are we hosting the website as well, dual homed into the MW network
would be the best for the future services we can offer to the internet.
eg up to date information about active nodes in the node database.

>> 2. Service listings.  Currently in the node database you can put up
>> services.  There is no way to easily find them.  GUR (melp_ap) has the
>> best services listing I've found in my short time.  I don't know if it's
>> updated regularly with new nodes or not but it's something.  Integration
>> between a service listing, DNS and checking to ensure services are
>> active would be great.  It will be much easier when all game servers in
>> the node db are automatically listed in the right place with extra work
>> or manually searching.  The same goes for FTP and WWW services.
>>

> I agree.  This is something that I have been working on with the SNMP
> manager I have set up:
>
> http://203.208.92.100:8082/ - username 'mw' password 'wireless'
>
> At the moment, it is only probing for http and ping, but it can just as
> easily test for other services if set up for them.

I was also thinking about running this listing from posted services on
the nodedb.  This would also create automatic DNS.  Scanning will give a
much more complete picture, but I'm not sure how to easily hook that
into DNS.  And then if people don't want certain services published,
they just don't list them.  Thoughts here very welcome, I'm not 100%
clear on the best way to proceed.  Running something like OpenNMS,
Nagios, Cacti would be good for network statistics about usage.  All we
need is SNMP running on nodes.  SNMP shouldn't be too difficult to offer
on most nodes.

>> 3. Node up-to-date checks.  When a node says it's operational and
>> connected to the network, we don't really know that.  I've seen at least
>> 2 recent incidents saying node XXX really isn't alive anymore or down.
>> For people to be able to seriously look at whether there are active
>> nodes in their area, they need up to date information about what nodes
>> are really running.  People generally don't update node information if
>> they take their node down when they become disinterested.
>>

> Again, something that I would love to see happen.  At the moment, the big
> stumbling block is that whoever holds the keys to the web site does not
> appear to be interested.  I am yet to discover who it is.  I think that if
> more of us show an interest in getting something done along these lines,
> then we are more likely to see it happen.

This looks like it's to No 1. Priority right now, work out what's going
on with the website.  I'm hoping now that you are on the committee Mike
that you will be able to use that contact for stuff like this :)
> [snip]
>> 5. It may be possible to present some internal content to the Internet
>> in the future.  eg my http://www.kct/ is available on the internet as
>> http://www.kct.melbourne.wireless.org.au/  now that would be cool.
>>

> That can be done, but again I would suggest a subdomain like:
> http://kct.live.melbourne.wireless.org.au/  so that these hostnames can be
> managed independently of the primary zone.

I like the idea of split DNS and managing the zones so users see the
same stuff, and let DNS managers handle the slightly harder task of
configuration 2 servers with correct IP addresses.
> [snip]
>
> That is an entire discussion by itself - best to start a whole new thread
> for THAT one! ;-)

Pending another thread I will start on this topic to see where it takes
us :)
>> For me, the access to peer content like linux updates/iso's is a key
>> draw card.  I don't want to spend $100+ per month on Internet just for
>> those files.  Sure the radio stuff is fun, but I don't see myself as a
>> continual fiddler in that field.  I'm a server/linux guy and they ain't
>> really doing to change.   Playing with the server based services we
>> provide is much more fun for me.  And thats the area I hope I can
>> contribute in.
>>

> Cool - can you write code in any language/s?

Mainly PHP, C.  I can read a whole lot more.  I've also done mail, DNS,
www, spam server management for small hosting setup for a few years.  So
the ideas here are not foreign.

>> I'd also say I have big dreams for myself given what I've listed above.
>> We will see if I can deliver on what I've mentioned and help always
>> appreciated if people think the ideas are good.  I hope I can start to
>> as I think it will make a difference.  We will see...
>>

> I can help you out with a lot of those projects.  Some of them I have made a
> start on, so feel free to keep talking!

I will try and keep the email flowing.

Out of time for now...

Russell.