[MLB-WIRELESS] Bandwidth tests

mw at freenet.net.au mw at freenet.net.au
Mon Mar 16 10:06:14 EST 2009

Good morning,

Last Friday evening I wrote down an email address for someone I was going to
send details of a bandwidth test tool that could be used to measure the real
throughput to node KBN.

Sorry, I forgot where I wrote it (duh!) and I don't remember your name
either! :-}

Anyhow, the tool I was talking about is here:
http://www.mikrotik.com/download/btest.exe

It only works with a Mikrotik at the other end, of course, or you can run
the server on a pc and test from remote as well.

There is a btest server running on 10.10.65.5, use username: mw, passwd:
wireless

The test will give you real data throughput in real time, so is a reasonable
measure of link capacity end-to-end.  You can run it in TCP or UDP mode, and
you can set the packet size (or random) to try to determine what sort of
data rate you can expect for typical applications.

I'll be interested to know what sort of throughput you can measure.

Cheers!

Mike Everest.
(Node KBN)