[MLB-WIRELESS] Bullet2 output power, why 1W or 100mW

Mark Aitken nodegxt at yahoo.com.au
Fri Mar 6 19:04:24 EST 2009

Kim Hawtin wrote:

> perhaps i'm tired of folks saying we can fix all these problems with MORE POWER!!!!!!
> pushing out more power just means more background noise for everyone else.
> and now doubt attracts unwanted attention.

True, although I am not concerned about attracting attention coz it is
within my license conditions

> ethernet isn't designed to be push long distance, in order to get reliable links over
> 25KM you need to fiddle with timeouts and hack on the drivers to make sure they hang
> on to fragmented packets for longer, which effects the buffer sizes and so on.

hasnt OpenWRT gone a long way in assisting with this?

> if amateurs have 100 watts to play with, and they have lots of bandwidth to play with
> and we're talking about much longer distances, then surely there are better suited
> modes for this kind of work?

It is an unfortunate turn of events that has seen HAM radio taken from
the forefront of technological development in the
post war years to just another hobby group waiting for the next big
break through by the corporate world!!

Generally we are at the mercy of the consumer market.  However, that
being said, what hams do well is to take a
commercial concept, adopt it and push it to its limits of its use either
by peripheral devices or redevelopment of the
base product, but, sadly, most of us are appliance operators.

> besides, if its an amateur sending the traffic is only between amateurs, so its not a
> useful part of the network as other users can't use it. unless, of course they too
> are HAMs ...

again, we are at the mercy of our masters, regulations! not a great lot
we can do about it but that doesnt mean we shouldnt try.

> so bandying this talk of some HAMs can extend the network with $LOTSA watts is irrelevant,
> AFAIC.

maybe?  maybe a change in the regulations as to carrying third party
traffic is needed???  I dont have all the answers.